Keep Your Sense of Humor

It is so important to enjoy being a teacher! And laughter is a healthy activity!

MimioProfessor's picture
Submitted by MimioProfessor Mimio Staff Mimio Site Manager Mimio Certified Trainer on Jun. 3, 2009

Comments & Collaboration (20)

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

year end humor

As a first year teacher, I think I started off better with my use of humor. The year is ending with so much testing and stress, that I have found myself very tense and less fun! I know the kids are stressed, and they sure don't to see me stressed too! I am trying to start off this next week refreshed and fun again!
dfirios

• Posted:
    Apr. 27, 2014
dfirios
Posted by
Diane Firios
Downloads: 5

This is something they often forget to tell you.

Humor is something they often forget to tell you in your teaching courses. I agree that having a sense of humor helps to build a connection with your students. I have found myself using it a lot in your class. It also helps when things aren't going so smoothly. For example, if I make a mistake, I often like to ask them if they think even a super hero like superman or myself make mistakes. Just make sure that you are not using humor to make fun of any of the students.

• Posted:
    Apr. 21, 2014
sweetmcj
Posted by
Charles Sweetman
Downloads: 41

I agree! Mimio is fun! Laughter is important!

One of the challenges I face when training is that teachers are fearful of making mistakes in the class as they think students know more about the technology than they do. This fear makes them timid to use the technology. This shouldn't be so! Students love technology and are always willing to help. By bringing a positive sense of humor in the classroom you learn to laugh at any mistakes (because everyone makes mistakes)and move past them and continue to create teaching learning experiences in the classroom. Mimio makes teaching and learning fun!

• Posted:
    Aug. 11, 2013
Leanne
Posted by
Leanne Spence
Downloads: 119

Students are Tech Savvy than us Dinosaurs

I am a first year teacher, a career changer on top of that. Some of the AV technology I have been provided in classrooms I have never touched before. For example the ELMO. Till date I cannot get it to focus properly and I did not know I could make it brighter or dimmer by pressing on the yellow button on the side. I kept rotating the light head like it is a camera I am trying to handle. Then one student suggested that I try the yellow button and I did and voila my ELMO started working well. Now this mimio. They gave me a mimio pad right in the beginning of the year. It is still sitting in its factory pack on my shelf. I have joined a Mimio PD run by our county tech team and I am hooked on it.(Still have not started using it in classroom) But planning to from day one next year.

• Posted:
    Apr. 27, 2014
seshadrz
Posted by
Rajalakshmi Tirunellai Seshadri
Downloads: 4

Sense of Humor

I happen to be a MIMIO reseller and not a trained Educator. I have been teaching computer software for over 20 years. My students have ranged from Elementary to retirees.

I have found that humor is great way to start the class and get everyone's attention. It is fantastic when companies send several employees to a class because they all ready know each other and respond to joking with each other.

Most important.... Know your student's interest. If you have serious minded students, then do not try to win them over with Humor. Keep it on the serious side.

• Posted:
    Oct. 15, 2010
kmartin721
Posted by
kmartin721
Downloads: 270

Keep Your Sense of Humor

Learning the Mimio has helped me learn to laugh a lot more along with my students, especially at myself as I have learned how to use it. The audio clips really add "character" to lessons and bring them alive!

• Posted:
    Jun. 4, 2010
mcreymal
Posted by
Malinda McReynolds
Downloads: 157

Keeping your sense of humor

I have just completed my first year of teaching. I got my mimio in November and was anxious to use it so my Kindergarten students and I learned to use it together. Wow, we laughed alot as we fumbled our way learning to use the mimo. My nickname was Silly Mrs. Walker.

• Posted:
    Jun. 7, 2010
leeannwalker
Posted by
leeannwalker
Downloads: 152

I think one of the most

I think one of the most important things you can do is to have fun. Of course, this goes along with keeping your sense of humor. Try new and different things and always get your student's feedback on any new activity. Another thing I try to do is to remember what I was like at their age (I teach junior high). This really helps me keep my sense of humor!

• Posted:
    Feb. 11, 2010
sweitzerj
Posted by
sweitzerj
Downloads: 3

having fun with students

Definitely have fun with your students - no matter the age. If you are having fun, then they are having fun. Don't be afraid to crack a smile.

• Posted:
    Aug. 14, 2011
crumsey
Posted by
crumsey
Downloads: 9

I agree!

I teach middle school as well, and some of the things they say and do make me want to laugh because I realize what I must have been like then. It is so important with this age to not get stuck in a lecture mode, but to switch things up. I teach science and aim to have at least one fun activity per chapter to even out times when they have to work and study hard (even though I try to make that interesting, too.)

• Posted:
    Mar. 24, 2011
sgillenwater
Posted by
Sarah Gillenwater
Downloads: 56

laughter

Wow!
I laugh with my students all the time. Lots of times we're laughing at something silly I did!

I think its important, not only for my sanity, but it teaches them life should be filled with laughter, and learning is FUN!
Hopefully they will be living, laughing and learning their whole life-long!

• Posted:
    Mar. 29, 2010
tmills
Posted by
Timothy Mills
Downloads: 51

I agree. You have to connect

I agree. You have to connect with your students. This is easily accomplished by rememebering what it was like to be their age. As a learner, I have to have various types of visuals. I also only have to have frequent "brain breaks."

Humor is also a huge piece. I have to laugh and I love that my students laugh with me...and sometimes at me.

• Posted:
    Mar. 23, 2010
wmcneil
Posted by
Wendy McNeil
Downloads: 208

Laughter and Plenty of Smiles

I agree that laughter is a wonderdful teaching tool. Even laughing with the students at something silly you may have done is okay. Some of my science experiments don't quite go off the way they should. My volcanoe experiment sprayed soda all over me. We all had a good laugh.
A greeting with a smile each morning for every student is 'a wonderful way to start your day'. The students enjoy being welcomed to the room each day with a smile. Some students come into the school with 'baggage' from home. When they see your smile at the doorway, they will know that they can have a safe and great learning day.

• Posted:
    Oct. 10, 2009
westy
Posted by
westy
Downloads: 258

I agree, laughter is

I agree, laughter is essential especially for new teachers. It will help them stop crying when they realize the book doesn't always have the answers. Welcome to the real world of Teaching.

• Posted:
    Jun. 26, 2009
phdpam
Posted by
Pamela Furline
Downloads: 60

Laughing and humor are an

Laughing and humor are an important part I think too. It shows your kiddos that you are a real person and breaks barriers down. I can keep things serious in my class but use a lot of corny jokes and puns and they jump right in and do the same. Have fun!

• Posted:
    Jun. 22, 2009
Travis Rink
Posted by
Travis Rink
Downloads: 1036

Kids are Funny

Sometimes I was so focused on teaching that I didn't notice the funny things that happened. For example, I was giving a spelling test and had just said one of the list words. Marvin, a fun, unique kid in my class, raised his hand. I called on him and he said, in a very serious tone, "How do you spell that?" I almost answered him, then realized we were in the middle of a spelling test! I burst out laughing, as did the rest of the class. That should have been the end of it, but Marvin, as all 10 year olds are prone to do, tried to pull this joke every Friday for the rest of the year. Needless to say, it lost it's "funnyness" after the 3rd time he raised his hand during a spelling test!

• Posted:
    Jun. 17, 2009
mimio webmaster
Posted by
mimio webmaster
Downloads: 9

Forgot Your Password?  

Why Become a Member?
 Find Content
Search our extensive library of lesson plans for interactive whiteboards or share your own favorites with others.

Get Interactive
Become involved in discussions on our forums, or start your own Mimio Group for sharing files and ideas.

Learn More
Get answers to your questions from Mimio Masters, or take live online or on-demand courses that suit your timetable.

WATCH OUR VIDEO

Ask a Master

Question:

Can our Chromebooks have the MimioStudio software loaded onto them?

Tracy Tishion's picture
Mimio Master:
Tracy Tishion

Answer:

Great question and thank you for your submission to MimioConnect. Chromebooks can't download the software to their device but do connect to MimioMobile through the web at this address:...

Read More

Register