Mimio for iPad

I was wondering if there would be a mimio app for the iPad? I know Mimio has its own "pad," but it would be great to be able to create lessons at home using the iPad rather than using a computer.

-Jim

jmckinne@pasco.k12.fl.us's picture
Submitted by jmckinne@pasco.... Mimio Master Mimio Certified Trainer on Aug. 13, 2011

Comments & Collaboration (44)

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

IPAD and Mimio

I agree, I think it would be great if Mimio somehow connected to Mimio or a Mimio App. Since tech is so important and ever changing in schools it would be so inportant to incorporate Mimio with the IPAD. Especially with BYOD starting to be incorporated in schools.

• Posted:
    Apr. 20, 2013
pikeam
Posted by
pikeam
Downloads: 30

MimioMobile

Great news! Mimio now has an iPad app that enables classroom iPads (or iPad minis) to connect to the MimioStudio software. The app is free from the iTunes store, it runs on MimioStudio 10, and schools just need to buy a license from Mimio to activate MimioMobile. It's a wonderful addition to the MimioStudio suite of classroom products. Go to www.mimio.com and check it out.

• Posted:
    Apr. 21, 2013
mkalowe
Posted by
Maribeth Lowe
Downloads: 1151

IPad/Mimio - Internet connectivity

By just reading all the comments on the IPad and Mimio issues, I realised there is no real solution yet. (Perhaps I miss something.) I have played around with various options like Spashtop, Nearpod(much better), Team-viewer and others and found the same problem with all the solutions - Internet connectivity. Perhaps this is not a problem in a 1st world country, but in Africa we really struggle with this. When the internet is down, none of the above solutions work. When the connectivity is slow it is impossible to manage a classroom from any remote device. Do anyone knows about a similar product that just needs a WiFi-connection and not the Internet?

• Posted:
    Sep. 5, 2012
Gustav5809
Posted by
Gustav5809
Downloads: 55

Ad Hoc network

you might be able to create an ad hoc network with an inexpensive wifi access point and just use it for your classroom without internet access..http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/edtech/presenter/doc/adhoc.html

• Posted:
    Apr. 14, 2013
bill
Posted by
Bill DiSisto
Downloads: 50

using splashtop on ipad to control mimio presentation

The key to using the ipad on the mimio is wi-fi! as long as you have wifi in your classroom then they work great. I used my ipad all the time last school year to control my presentation. It allowed me to go around my classroom and have the kids pop bubbles, move words, reveal answers and control video and flash content on my PC computer, wich has the mimio program. the hardest thing was to write on the ipad, so I use a bamboo graphic pad or just go up to the board and use the mimio stylus. At least I am not tied to the front of the room.

• Posted:
    Jul. 19, 2012
soccerpadre
Posted by
Ted Dunn
Downloads: 72

You are correct...

Incorporating Ipads with Mimio is awesome. Like you said, you are not restricted to the front of the room, and you can help students make corrections and solve problems without ever picking up the pen. We are starting to use Ipads more and more in classrooms at our school. I predict that these technology tools will be replacing lots of old methods. We are living in a world with digital learners these days.

• Posted:
    Aug. 19, 2012
Rebels22
Posted by
Rebels22
Downloads: 15

iPad vs MimioPad

Reading this thread tells me that the iPad is not the tool to use with Mimio. It is a great tool, and can easily be connected to the data projector used by Mimio, but until it can have a version of Studio as an app, it will only be another computer gadget. I have heard through the grape vine that an app for the iPad will be available later this year, 2012, hopefully for the fall semester. That would be a great addition to the mix, if you can afford it of course.

• Posted:
    Jun. 13, 2012
nmcguire46
Posted by
Neil McGuire
Downloads: 27

ipad app

an app for mimio on and ipad would be great especially since many school systems are issuing them to their teachers. if we had that we wouldn't have to toggle between tech gadgets! i like the mimio pad though! Also it is less appetizing to those sticky little fingers because it only works with the mimio bars

• Posted:
    Jun. 15, 2012
lynn.lavergne
Posted by
Lynn LaVergne
Downloads: 10

A Tool...not a replacement

After doing much research on 21st century classroom technology...I've come to a conclusion that the main thing to always keep in mind is that the TEACHER is the key to a child's learning, not technology! Now with that said...technology can certainly assist teachers to accomplish their goals & objectives while at the same time making learning more engaging and interesting to the students. Ipads are certainly a tool that can help students think "outside the box" with the ever increasing apps being developed daily! MIMIO is certainly a great technology tool that both aids the teacher (in lesson preparation) and the student (in making learning more interactive). I have used splashtop with great success to demonstrate how Ipads and MIMIO can work together.

• Posted:
    Jun. 12, 2012
gfuller987
Posted by
gfuller987
Downloads: 106

A Tool...not a replacement

I couldn't agree with you more! In our district, we have a new initiative. However, we are constantly reminded that it is a curriculum initiative and not a technology initiative. We are in year two of a 5 year roll out, and I am not entirely sure what it will look like when it is completely rolled out. With that being said, I am excited that we are using technology to enhance our teaching rather than as a replacement for teaching. I don't know how IPads will factor in (I love my IPad and IPhone) because we are not an Apple friendly district at this point, but I know Mimio is part of our future. I really am excited.

• Posted:
    Jun. 13, 2012
Kelly Snyder
Posted by
Kelly Snyder
Downloads: 5

IPADs

My school district is in the second year of giving IPads to all of the incoming freshman students. After speaking with last year's students, I am not sure how this is helping students learn. With so few teachers that have the training and so little time for teachers to investigate the beneficial applications, I see this as a publicity stunt rather than a viable initiative. It seems that districts throw money at technology and never back it up with meaningful professional development.

• Posted:
    Aug. 20, 2012
jimfitz321
Posted by
James FitzPatrick
Downloads: 45

Beuty is in simplicitt

I don't have any high tech methods for using the MimioView with Apple's iPad but I've been having huge success with demonstrating the iPad apps to my training groups while using the View. It is much easier than walking around the room trying to hold the iPad and navigate to or through the apps I am training on or sharing.

• Posted:
    Jun. 12, 2012
robertgibns
Posted by
robertgibns
Downloads: 0

Can't use Splashtop at school

Has anybody found a solution for those of us who cannot use Splashtop through our district's proxy server? It is a great app and I would love to use it, but our proxy server blocks it at school. Are there any other remote desktop apps for the iPad that do not need to stream?

• Posted:
    Apr. 29, 2012
Laurie Frost
Posted by
Laurie Frost
Downloads: 52

Apple TV

If you are looking to walk around with your iPad, project that image, and interact with it using the tools...try the Apple TV. It is remote device that you connect to your PC/projector. It costs $99 and will allow you to walk around the room with the image on the iPad projected for the class to see. I can't see why you couldn't use the tools than on the board as with Screen Annotations.
The rep from Apple computer was at our district doing a demo and watching him with the Apple TV was great.
Here is the link to learn more. http://www.apple.com/appletv/

• Posted:
    Apr. 16, 2012
robbuffone
Posted by
robbuffone
Downloads: 8

Apple TV

An Apple TV is a separate device that connects to the projector, not the computer. You can use an Apple TV to project your iPad, but you can't use the Mimio tools to do screen captures and annotations. You are limited to what you can do with your iPad.

On another note, Apple TVs don't always work well on an enterprise network. Test it out in your environment and troubleshoot before any large-scale deployment.

• Posted:
    Jun. 6, 2012
jasonschmidt123
Posted by
Jason Schmidt
Downloads: 69

Use your personal tablet instead of the Mimio tablet

I think this is a great idea, and that it has to happen as well. As more and more teachers begin to use tablets within the classroom, and as more and more students begin to use eTextbooks, it only makes sense to be able to control your Mimio tools and share your Mimio content across platforms. An good, functional app would be a great way to do this!

• Posted:
    Apr. 15, 2012
jeremydillard
Posted by
jeremydillard
Downloads: 26

mimio apps?

I was just thinking that it would be cool to have apps to download to mimio just like you have apps to download to i-pad. Even better if you could find a way to use the apps you downloaded to i-pad to be used on the mimio. The more technology talks to each other, the more uses you can get out of it.

• Posted:
    Feb. 12, 2012
amenjivar
Posted by
amenjivar
Downloads: 21

Doceri App

I have a colleague that uses an app called Doceri. The app is fairly expensive but she seems to love it as a teaching tool in her classroom. I believe that the app itself is free but there is software that runs on the computer as well. It does give teachers the flexibility to move around the room while students can participate on the board with the mimio teach.

• Posted:
    Feb. 10, 2012
Kari Cooper
Posted by
Kari Cooper
Downloads: 55

SplashTop!

I have been using SplashTop on my IPAD now for a couple of weeks to interface with my teacher presentation computer + projector + Mimio and it's AWESOME! I have complete mobility around my technology classroom, while still having all of the capabilities of using the Mimio. For my classes of younger students, I can locate myself close to kids who need that teacher proximity, while allowing students to use the Mimio stylus up at the board, yet still interact with the presentation when I need to do so. It's well worth the $5 I paid for it to interact w/the Mimio! A colleague of mine purchased the $20 Splashtop for whiteboards and it blown away by it and its functionality with Mimio. I am considering...

• Posted:
    Feb. 9, 2012
mccartjo
Posted by
Jody McCarty
Downloads: 201

more information about splash top for toshiba tablets

Hi, I would love to know how to get splashTop. I don't have an IPad, I have a Toshiba Tablet. Will it work on this? If not, can anyone suggest something that will give me that tablet advantage (as explained in your post feb10 2012)
Thanks for your help.

• Posted:
    Mar. 28, 2012
fwallace
Posted by
fwallace
Downloads: 76

Keeping it Simple

I don't have any high tech methods for using the MimioView with Apple's iPad but I've been having huge success with demonstrating the iPad apps to my training groups while using the View. It is much easier than walking around the room trying to hold the iPad and navigate to or through the apps I am training on or sharing. This one is just a no-brainer.

Hopefully others will share more effective ways to utilize the MimioView with the iPad.

• Posted:
    Feb. 12, 2012
jenniferkrill
Posted by
jenniferkrill
Downloads: 44

Mimio and Ipad

I tried to use Remote Mouse a free app for iPad with mimio notebook. I was able to use it as a pointer but was not able to access any of the other notebook tools. I plan on trying the two apps listed here. It would be nice for the kids to be able to connect to it too. All my students have iPads. It would be great for the students to be able to connect and write on or move things around without passing a mimio pad or ipad around. Also, I would like an app to use the ipads as a clicker instead of the mimiovote. If anyone has any ideas on how to make this work, I would appreciate any input.

• Posted:
    Dec. 8, 2011
Caross
Posted by
Caross
Downloads: 13

Socrative

This is not an app, but a website that's free. It's socrative.com. You sign-up for it as a teacher and then you can create a variety of quizzes, either in advance or simply do things on the spot. As long as all of your kids have Internet access it works great! The students simply log-in to your "classroom" and they're ready to go. My kids (high schoolers) love using the iPads and this is just one additional way they can get their hands on things. I highly suggest you check it out.

• Posted:
    Jun. 13, 2012
sfuller8637
Posted by
Sara Fuller
Downloads: 73

Explain Everything

Thanks for the information about Splashtop! It looks like an amazing resource. I had heard of another option, "Explain Everything" which is a presentation creation/delivery app. It's not remote desktop software like Splashtop, but it does look like it might be interesting as an alternative to a Mimio lesson. I'd be interested to hear if any has any experience with it!

• Posted:
    Nov. 17, 2011
spickford
Posted by
spickford
Downloads: 49

Splashtop and Network Security

We have heard a lot about how great Splashtop is as a remote desktop app. Unfortunately, we are not able to use the app in our district due to the security threat it poses for our network. Has anyone else experienced this reaction in their school system? I am also wondering how other districts are getting around the network security issue. Maybe Explain Everything will be an option.

• Posted:
    Feb. 6, 2012
Teresa_Jickell
Posted by
Teresa Jickell
Downloads: 300

Splashtop Whiteboard

I work for Austin ISD and recently loaded Splashtop Whiteboard (a $20 app) and Splashtop Streamer (free) on my Mac and had no problems with the iPad 2 "talking" to the district laptop. Whiteboard comes with basic drawing tools, some good backgrounds, esp. for math, and had reveal and spotlight features. I created some simple activities using Word and ppt and then had the students use the iPad to complete the activities. You can take snapshots of their work and the jpeg is saved in a Splashtop folder. I liked the remote desktop idea.

• Posted:
    Feb. 7, 2012
Gail Laubenthal
Posted by
Gail Laubenthal
Downloads: 100

Instead of Mimio for the iPad what about iPad using Mimio?

As some other members commented, my suggestion is the Splashtop Remote Desktop app (US$ 1.99). Once you run it, your iPad becomes a remote to your computer (PC or Mac). So why would you wait for an "Apple limited" version of mimio software if you can use it at its full capacity on your computer?

• Posted:
    Nov. 1, 2011
ogarcia
Posted by
Otavio Garcia
Downloads: 19

Great idea!

We are getting Ipads for our room and I too had been wondering how to incorporate them into my mimio. This is a great idea and I'm going to try it this week! Thanks tons!

• Posted:
    Dec. 11, 2011
jcgannon
Posted by
Janet Gannon
Downloads: 59

Mimio and iPad

Very interesting discussion. I was curious if this was a possibility so plan to research the app to make it work. I am not so interested in creating .ink files on my iPad, but rather work with students in small group with them. From what I"m reading I believe this is possible.

• Posted:
    Oct. 15, 2011
armstrongcm
Posted by
Chad Armstrong
Downloads: 4

Mimio and iPad

I am super excited for this to happen. The two main things I know are 1. It has to be free and 2. It has to happen. In less than ten years I predict that there will no longer be desktop computers or laptops in the classroom- we will all be iPads and tablets maybe even smaller- phone size. We are all going mobile and I can't wait for Mimio to jump on board. I think it will be a great blend.

• Posted:
    Oct. 22, 2011
forsythc
Posted by
Cindy Forsyth
Downloads: 250

'Droid platform also!

Don't forget the Android platform also! Personally, I like the iPad, but not the price. I'm looking forward to the Amazon Fire tablet which is much cheaper, but runs on Android. I believe that most (if not all) of the apps I will need are available on Android. Mimio needs to step up and do a Android app. Apple is getting better with flash, but it will still be a while before it has any flash capabilities.

• Posted:
    Oct. 24, 2011
sherrouses
Posted by
Susan Sherrouse
Downloads: 242

Android with Splashtop and Mimio

I have not been successful in manipulating the Mimio with my Android (Asus) tablet and the SplashTop app. I don't know if it's a bug or communication problem with the app, mimio, and/or Android. If someone finds a solution, I would be very interested!

• Posted:
    Feb. 15, 2012
pblissfl
Posted by
pblissfl
Downloads: 131

Splashtop App

Hello
the Splashtop Apps are a good solution for working on Mimio lessons from your ipad but are not free. I wonder if TeamViewer might work...it is free and remotes to Mac or PC.

• Posted:
    Oct. 12, 2011
caskeyd
Posted by
Desiree Caskey
Downloads: 280

compatibility

How do you find apps that work with other classroom items with have that are electronic. Also, streamlining is good but I think sometimes it may be better for students to see us use multiple facets of our technology. I will check it out...do you know if this goes any further with Apple products?

• Posted:
    Aug. 15, 2011
jeanninetennant
Posted by
Jenny Tennant
Downloads: 116

I have sent this information

I have sent this information on. I have been quite disappointed that I cannot access Mimio to work on lessons. We have not known of an app that would allow this. Thank you!

• Posted:
    Aug. 14, 2011
lpankratz
Posted by
Lezlie Pankratz
Downloads: 49

Ipad and Mimio

Right now, the iPad does not support flash animations, Java, or the MimioStudio software (among others.) There is a Mac version of MimioStudio, however - so you can use your Mac for creating lessons. The MimioPad is not a computer as the iPad is, but rather an input device to bring the MimioStudio tools to your students. There are several apps that allow you to control your PC from your iPad - might that be what you are looking for? Using one of those apps, you could conceivably create Mimio lessons on your iPad - as it accesses your home computer.

• Posted:
    Aug. 13, 2011
mkalowe
Posted by
Maribeth Lowe
Downloads: 1151

It would be great but I think

It would be great but I think with the limitation with the Ipad it would be impossible. I use a tablet PC and that works great.

I use a motion J3500 Tablet. It is great. Here is the website. A little spendy but worth it

http://www.motioncomputing.com/buy/index.asp

• Posted:
    Aug. 13, 2011
efranz
Posted by
Eric Franz
Downloads: 119

difference between a mimiopad and J3500 tABLET

Hi everybody!
I have just bought a mimiopad. it's very difficult to write equations for example but i can have access to the mimiotools, page . it works if you have everything in the lesson.

Can you see what you are wrting on the tablet and not on the projected board.
what are the other diffrences?

• Posted:
    Oct. 5, 2011
mshadoo
Posted by
mshadoo
Downloads: 96

Forgot Your Password?  

Why Become a Member?
 Find Content
Search our extensive library of lesson plans for interactive whiteboards or share your own favorites with others.

Get Interactive
Become involved in discussions on our forums, or start your own Mimio Group for sharing files and ideas.

Learn More
Get answers to your questions from Mimio Masters, or take live online or on-demand courses that suit your timetable.

Ask a Master

Question:

I have viewed a number of the Mimio pre-recorded webinars and have found them to be extremely informative. I would like to use them as part of my...

Tracy Tishion's picture
Mimio Master:
Tracy Tishion

Answer:

Absolutely and you are so right. The Mimio Webinar series of live events and recordings are very informative and packed with lots of great suggestions, examples, and tips to enhance your Mimio...

Read More

Register